A Unique Way to Train Synchronization
Now this way to train synchronization occurred completely by accident. I was filming patterns for my pattern book and there is something in the book I call “synchronization options”. From doing the synchronization options I noticed we got better at synchronization. And there was no coach guiding us either!
Let me step back and explain exactly what synchronization options are. Imagine a team in one pattern and in that pattern there is different timing that each swimmer could do. The more swimmers you have the more synchronization options you can have.
Check out this video to see a team of 8 swimmers performing some synchronization options.
What we did:
- I wrote out all the combinations on a board so we could read it and follow from in the water.
- One swimmer counted. We were given 5678 as preparation. Then group 1 would boost on 1, group 2 on 3, group 3 on 5 and so on as the combinations required.
- If we made a mistake we restarted. Our goal was to get through all of the combinations without stopping.
What we learned:
- Our synchronization improved without a coach. We could see when we were slightly off the counts. Then over time we learned how to get our legs in the correct position at the correct time to be on time.
- It is surprisingly a good workout.
- The coach could be the counter.
- You could time it.
- You could use this as team building or with the entire club.
- You can race against another team.
- You could use some of these options in your routines.
- Try different movements.
- Try moving.
- Trying going under water.
- Try it on the angle.
- Make the counts faster or slower.
You could come up with your own synchronization options for your team or if your interested in purchasing your own pattern book there are synchronization options for teams of 4,5,6,7 and 8.
Yours In Synchro,
Leave a Comment